Hosting a Breeding Stock Mom or Dad
If you are interested in hosting a breeding stock dog and meet the qualifications listed below, apply to volunteer here.
Breeding Stock Host Home is a volunteer position that provides our breeding stock dogs homes during the time they are producing puppies for our program.
Volunteers in this position will provide a home for a Leader Dog breeding stock dog for a 7–9 year period. Volunteers will keep our breeding stock dogs safe, healthy and available to Leader Dog as needed. Volunteers will whelp litters of puppies in their home and raise the litters for their first 6 to 7 weeks of age, providing necessary experiences, quality care, exercise and early manner training for puppies. This is a long-term commitment with a very intense 6 week commitment while a litter is in the home.
- Physical strength and balance to effectively and positively manage an adult dog and a litter of active puppies
- Ability to bend over, squat, pick up and hold a squirming puppy up to 15 lbs in weight
- Must be adaptable, able to follow directions and willing to get dirty
- Must be committed, capable, observant, and punctual
- Able to take on the financial and time responsibilities for all costs related to routine care, feeding and transporting of the dog to our campus in Rochester Hills. (Leader Dogs for the Blind provides veterinary care when done here on campus in Rochester Hills, as well as heartworm and flea preventative treatments)
Time Commitment and Scheduling
- Must commit from 7–9 years
- Must commit to one to two litters a year
Due to Mother Nature, scheduling will need to be flexible, but all attempts will be made by Leader Dog to provide provisions for life events.