Professional and University Opportunities
We offer free O&M seminars to help educate current orientation and mobility professionals on the use of guide dogs and accessible GPS, and our Universities Program educates the next generation of O&M professionals on foundational techniques and instructional strategies. These seminars and programs broaden the reach of Leader Dog and increase the resources available to both students and practicing O&M professionals.
Room and board are provided on Leader Dog's campus. Attendees are responsible only for providing their own transportation to/from Michigan.
Guide Dog Seminar for O&M Specialists
This seminar introduces practicing O&M professionals to our guide dog training, travel and field support requirements. Participants have the opportunity to experience guide dog problem-solving and preview GPS navigational technology. Participants receive 10 to 12 ACVREP continuing education credits.
- Eligibility Requirements:
- Participants must have completed university coursework and graduated at least six months prior to the seminar.
- Participants must be certified orientation and mobility specialists with at least six months of experience.
- Participants must not have previously attended this seminar within the last five years.
- Challenge Level: Easy to moderate
- Classes Offered Annually: Two
- Upcoming seminar:
- Wednesday, May 27–Friday, May 29, 2020. Application deadline: April 27, 2020.
Orientation and Mobility Practicum
Students in graduate-level programs from participating universities receive hands-on teaching experience working with individuals who are visually impaired and need orientation and mobility skills in the one-week Orientation & Mobility Training program.
Contact our manager of technology and extended services by phone at 888-777-5332 or email.
Orientation and Mobility Internship
Offered through the Edward T. and Ellen K. Dryer Foundation Orientation and Mobility Internship Academy, an O&M internship at Leader Dog will truly prepare the intern for a career as an orientation & mobility specialist. Throughout the internship process, the intern will have a multitude of teaching and learning experiences. Learn more about our O&M internships.