Professional and University Opportunities
We offer free O&M seminars to help educate current orientation and mobility professionals on the use of guide dogs and accessible GPS, and our Universities Program educates the next generation of O&M professionals on foundational techniques and instructional strategies. These seminars and programs broaden the reach of Leader Dog and increase the resources available to both students and practicing O&M professionals.
Room and board are provided on Leader Dog's campus. Attendees are responsible only for providing their own transportation to/from Michigan.
Guide Dog Seminar for O&M Specialists
This seminar introduces practicing O&M professionals to our guide dog training, travel and field support requirements. Participants have the opportunity to experience guide dog problem-solving and preview GPS navigational technology. Participants receive 10 to 12 ACVREP continuing education credits.
- Eligibility Requirements:
- Participants must have completed university coursework and graduated at least six months prior to the seminar.
- Participants must be certified orientation and mobility specialists with at least six months of experience.
- Participants must not have previously attended this seminar within the last five years.
- Challenge Level: Easy to moderate
- Classes Offered Annually: Two
- Upcoming seminar:
- Our upcoming seminar from Wednesday, May 27–Friday, May 29, 2020 is full. Our next seminar will be held June 13–15, 2021. We will begin accepting applications for the 2021 seminar in June 2020.
Orientation and Mobility Practicum
Students in graduate-level programs from participating universities receive hands-on teaching experience working with individuals who are visually impaired and need orientation and mobility skills in the one-week Orientation & Mobility Training program.
Contact our manager of technology and extended services by phone at 888-777-5332 or email.
Orientation and Mobility Internship
Offered through the Edward T. and Ellen K. Dryer Foundation Orientation and Mobility Internship Academy, an O&M internship at Leader Dog will truly prepare the intern for a career as an orientation & mobility specialist. Throughout the internship process, the intern will have a multitude of teaching and learning experiences. Learn more about our O&M internships.