Orientation and mobility, or O&M, is a series of skills that allows a person to travel independently through a constantly changing world. Environments and vehicles are constantly changing, so the skills required to travel independently and safely are also changing. The one-week Accelerated Orientation & Mobility Training program at Leader Dogs for the Blind may be right for you if you have had changes in your life. These may include:
- You have relocated and you want to feel more confident orienting yourself to an unfamiliar environment.
- Your vision has changed and you want to feel confident traveling using more non-visual techniques at different times of the day or year.
- You feel like you are relying too heavily on your guide dog, your friends or family members for direction.
- You want to prove to yourself, friends and family that you have what it takes to be an independent traveler.
- You are thinking about retiring your current guide dog, and want to brush up on your O&M skills before training with a new guide dog.
In the week-long Accelerated Orientation & Mobility Training program at Leader Dog, clients benefit from a program that is individualized for their specific needs. Areas of training may include basic cane skills, utilizing a human guide, street crossings, traveling in residential, business shopping and rural environments.
If this article has you thinking about improving your skills, call client services today at 888-777-5332 to discuss O&M training.